Alternate Scenes: Bangladesh

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 | Posted by: Anonymous


As a South Asian country with a huge population of 148,692,130 (two-thirds of which are farmers), Bangladesh does not instantly strike you as a scene where House/Tech music would prosper. You would not be wrong in assuming so, however within this poverty stricken Islamic country is a man, a man known as the "House King".


The "House King" or more formally known as Shezzane Mozumder strives to keep the scene that he loves alive. This can be considered a very hard task in this mainly agriculutural, backdated Islamic country.

Emailing us his mix from his proud throne as the self proclaimed  "Bangladeshi King of House" we felt we must share his story with all of you, its worth a read

The Bangladeshi Scene:

"At most parties here in Dhaka, you will only hear the most commercial tunes being played by djs, mostly dance music, mainstream hip-hop house remixes and Bollywood music. The places where I can spin my music are mostly at private parties, maximum 100 people or so and they're people who had studied and partied abroad but even they are not too informed about the latest house tunes or all the different sounds currently present.

There were times when I almost gave up playing music for people but just when I was about to, some reactions and feedback from people on my mixes surprised me and brought the hope back. What saddens me the most is still the fact that I can't really discuss house music with anyone here in Dhaka.

Typical rice paddy in Bangladesh

Now, about myself and how I got into this type of music, basically I have been here in Dhaka all my life; studied here and never experienced any party scene abroad. When it comes to being updated on the latest tunes and the house music scene overall, the internet has been my one and only friend. I learned how to DJ all myself, with the help of some few djs from forums and blogs, and all on my PC, using freeware softwares.

I remember, for some private gigs, my equipment was my PC and monitor and played all the music off it. I was even the only DJ back in that time who was able to beatmatch and mix. I am an absolute freak when it comes to downloading music, that's all I do at home.

Dhaka: Capital of Bangladesh and home of the House King

Regarding my taste in house, I don't know, after listening to almost all genres, deep and tech-house is what I dug the most, mainly because of the chilled and grooved out baselines. I just felt it, simply putting it. And right at this moment, the sounds from the Rebel camp is really impressing me and I can't get enough of it."

Thanks, Shezzane Mozumder.

We encourage you to take time to listen to the Shezzane's Mixes and show your support by following his Soundcloud 

TA

Satirical Artwork By Sergio Vuolo

Inspiration for this artwork comes from Sergio's own reflections on contemporary society, politics and economics.

Lewis Boardman On The Importance Saying "No"

Liverpool's Lewis Boardman gives the lowdown on his new EP 'Rambunctious' and his advice to aspiring DJs is just as bold.